Article written by Barbro Brost, DC, the Brost Clinic, Wayzata
Research shows that 80% of chronic diseases are created by the lifestyle we live. If you had the keys to the knowledge of greatly increasing your odds to live a longer, healthier, more vital life, would you use them? What if I told you most of them are free?
Realizing that we have 80% control of our health is powerful. Here are seven of the most important keys.
- Don’t smoke!
- Motion. The body is created to move, not sit on a chair all day. Exercise and an active lifestyle is imperative for a healthy future.
- Diet and Supplements. Organic, fresh, locally grown foods are now available to us even in regular grocery stores. No excuses to eat foods sprayed with poison! Weight control is one of the biggest health issues. Even being 10 pounds overweight decreases your health odds. Everyone needs a basic multivitamin, Omega 3 fatty acids, and minerals. Some need more specific supplements.
- Water. Water is greatly under rated but imperative for the body to function optimally. Even 2% dehydration slows some of your organ function and affects your mind. Three quarts/day is a good rule of thumb.
- Sleep. We live in a culture of sleep deprivation. Most people don’t get the 7-8 hours of sleep that the body requires to repair and for the brain to re-charge. Turn off the TV and go to bed!
- Happy Relationships. Relationships and a stimulating social life are very important to our health. The body and the mind work in concert. Stop hanging out with negative people. Surround yourself with friends that make you happy! Laughter is one of the best ways to stimulate your immune system!
- A Well-Tuned Nervous System. This may be new information for some of you: It is your brain and your nervous system that regulate and coordinate all the functions in your body. It is also the communication between your mind and your body. Irritation or blockages in nerve flow set the stage for malfunction and disease. To ensure a well-coordinated and functioning body you need regular chiropractic check-ups. Chiropractors are specialists in detecting and removing pressure or irritation on the nerves where they are most vulnerable, at the exit point from your spine!