Food for Thought by Chef Katie Chin
In honor of Fortune Cookie Day which falls on September 13th this year, I wanted to share this fun recipe for Hand-dipped Chocolate Fortune Cookies. I remember when I was going through my divorce I ate a lot of Chinese take-out especially during the “I think I’ll wear my sweatpants and binge watch bad reality TV 24/7 phase.” One day, I opened up my fortune cookie and my fortune read, “Leap and the net will appear.” Those words of wisdom inspired me to get off my couch, take a shower and put on some lipstick! I finally got back out there and leapt into a new career as a chef and put my toe in the dating waters. With all the loving friends and family I had surrounding me I new I truly couldn’t fail and if I fell down, a loving hand would always be on there to pull me back up.
Hand-dipped Chocolate Fortune Cookies
- 24 fortune cookies
- 2 cups white candy coating, such as Candy Melts
- 2 cups dark chocolate candy coating, such as Candy Melts
- Various sprinkles and chopped nuts
- Place white candy coating and dark chocolate candy coating in separate ceramic bowls. Heat white candy coating at 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each interval until melted and smooth. Set aside. Repeat steps with dark chocolate candy coating. You may use a double boiler alternatively to melt candy coating.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Place toppings in individual small bowls. Dip each cookie in either white candy coating or dark chocolate candy coating. Decorate with toppings as you desire. Place on cookie sheet. Once cookie sheet is full, place in freezer for 5 minutes to set. Store in an airtight container.